So over the waiting game


Last Tuesday I was told that I needed pre-approval from my insurance to start Lupron injections to help alleviate my endometriosis. I was told it would take a week and that if I hadn't heard anything in a week, I'd have to call back and see what was going on. 

This morning I was able to follow up and was told that approval can take up to a month. Which, given the cost of the treatment and that it's only recommended if birth control pills don't help, I could understand why the wait. But, of course, I had my doubts still. 

After two hours on the phone with insurance and leaving messages for the doctor, I find that my primary insurance doesn't require authorization for Lupron and that my secondary insurance should be able to approve it over the phone since they are secondary and are not covering the full cost. 

Now I am only waiting on my doctor's office to stop dragging their asses and call for the authorization (which I left them the direct phone number for) and then call me back to schedule the first injection. 

Why is it so hard for health care offices to have a sense of urgency to get their patients treatment? I feel that it's only obvious I'm in discomfort being that I've been into the doctor an average of every 10 days since late January, including an ER visit. I really don't know what the answer is. I don't know if it's the stigma of women's health. I don't know it's because of Obamacare. I don't know if it's the influx of patients doctors have had in the last 10 years. No matter what the answer, there has to be a damn solution somewhere. 

I'm just glad I have the brains to stick up for myself and take the time to make the necessary phone calls to get myself take care of. It's quite obvious that no matter how much trust you put into a doctor or their practice, you are really the only advocate for your own health. Which brings to mind that maybe that's why there is so much wrong with health care. Maybe it's because, we, collectively, as a society, as people, don't go the necessary extra mile to make sure we are taken care of. We rely on the waiting game. We are afraid of health care costs. We are afraid of lost time from work, from family. Lost income. Bad diagnosis. Fear. 

And this needs to stop. Stop being afraid and stand up for yourself. If I can do it, anyone can. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

And again

Birthday Month Day 24

Onward with life